If you are planning a long-distance move soon, you’ve probably anticipated some moving challenges in getting things done. But if you have fragile and expensive collectibles, transporting them safely can be a daunting task. Collectibles are valuable, and most of them hold monetary and sentimental value. Therefore, they should always maintain their perfect condition. At O’Mara Moving & Storage, our Rockford long-distance movers have the skills and experience needed to relocate your collectibles without a scratch. Our residential movers in Rockford provide tips on how to relocate your collectible items successfully. They include:
Use Proper Packing Supplies for Smaller Items
Expensive and fragile items need a lot of protection. Before your moving day, you need to gather your packing supplies. Depending on the kind of collectibles you want to pack and move, the common packing supplies for protecting collectibles include:
- Cardboard Boxes: They will be able to endure more weight during the move.
- Packing Peanuts: They are perfect for filling in the gaps between the items.
- Packing Tape: Helps to ensure everything is sealed and reduces the risk of damage caused by open or broken boxes. However, you need to be careful with masking tape, so it does not come in contact with the sensitive surfaces of your valuables.
- Microfiber Cloth
- Bubble Roll
Some collectible items are more difficult to pack than others. And if they are expensive and dear to your heart, paying a bit more to protect them is better than risking the damage of your precious items. Professional moving companies offer special packing for fragile and valuable items. They will help you pack your item securely and deliver a stress-free move.
Use Moving Blankets and Crating for Larger Items
Many experienced and professional movers use moving blankets to protect larger items during transport. This is to provide extra cushioning and ensure your possessions reach their final destination without a scratch. They also provide custom-made wooden boxes that fit your items perfectly and reduces movement during transport.
Hiring professional movers means they are responsible for all the items you want to relocate. However, if you are planning a long-distance move, moving companies are obligated by the law to provide two types of coverage for your belongings. The coverage you chose will determine the value of your reimbursement if any of your items get lost or damaged during relocation. These options include:
- Released Value Protection: This is a free and basic valuation coverage option. You only get reimbursement based on your item’s weight and not the replacement value. Since most collectible items are light-weighted, this option cannot provide the financial reimbursement you deserve if your items get damaged during transport.
- Full Value Protection: With full value protection, the moving company is responsible for the complete replacement value of any missing or damaged collectibles during relocation. If you want full value protection for your valuable, make sure you ask your movers about the protection plans available for purchase.
Also, we recommended transporting smaller and items of extraordinarily high value (jewelry, coins, stamps, card collections) yourself or using specialty and insured moving services if self-transportation is not an option for you.
Use Warehouse Storage
If you are not ready to receive your belongings immediately, you should work with a moving company that offers secure warehouse storage facilities where your items are kept in wooden vaults for additional safety. If your collectible items are sensitive to temperature, ensure you inform your movers and ask them about the climate control techniques in their warehouse facility.
Start Planning Your Move Today with the Top Choice for Moving Services in Rockford
At O’Mara Moving and Storage, customer satisfaction is our goal. We make it our priority to deliver quick, efficient, and stress-free moves at an affordable price. Your move will be planned and coordinated according to your individual needs. We are an agent of North American Van Lines, which means we have access to cutting-edge moving resources in the industry. Our comprehensive moving services in Rockford include:
- Full and Partial Packing Services
- High-Quality Packing Materials
- State-of-the-Art, Satellite-Equipped Air Ride Trucks
- Packing, Padding/Wrapping of Furniture
- Custom Crating of Fragile Items
- Short- and Long-Term Storage Options
- Spacious Warehouse Storage
- Vehicle Shipping
Are you ready to get started with your move? Simply give us a call today or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.
Subscribe to O'Mara Moving and Storage's Blog